Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Best Films of 2007--Redux

Just a quick update this time.

Saw There Will Be Blood this weekend. Without question, it belongs on my "Best Films of 2007" list. It's an epic, brilliant, unremittingly bleak film that stands among the finest achievements in contemporary American filmmaking. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the greatest performances I have ever seen as Daniel Plainview, a brutal, unstoppable force of greed (and perhaps Capitalism?) that will stop at nothing to crush anyone and anything that stands in his way. This film is a quintessentially American story, a look at how the desire for profit and victory can destroy family, spirituality and lives. It richly deserves its 8 Oscar nods...but how in the hell could Oscar snub Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood with no "Best Score" nomination? That score was unlike anything I've ever heard--which may explain the snub, I suppose.

Anyone who even pretends to enjoy cinema needs to go out and see this movie. Now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a billion damn miles from a theater now that I am at school and therefore will probably miss it. My sister went and saw it tonight and will likely rub it in my face.

-Vatter

honeykbee said...

Why isn't it in wide release, wtf?


happy somethin somethin, btw !

Anonymous said...

Joey and I went to see it last weekend over Cloverfield, as per your warning, and now I can't get him to stop denouncing God. However beyond that, it was just as wonderful as you hyped it up to be. Thanks, Gallo.

-jcline